Campaign of the Month: January 2015
Skies of Glass
Kitsune are lithe humanoids resembling foxes, who make their home in the sparse outer forests of Ikari in eastern Coricona. Kitsune place great value and belief in tradition and are highly attuned to the spirital beings known as Kami. Perhaps due to their highly divided society — warriors, spiritualists, and naturalists making up the majority of their population — kitsune governance is a unique mixture of a representative democracy and tribal guidance (usually by village elders). Barbarians, strangely, are the only other ‘race’ to share a similar, if much more violent and chaotic, form of “government.” In general, kitsune are very socialistic within their communities and rarely consider themselves before their family and friends. However, kitsune are often highly curious, the interests of some kitsune leading them away from their homes and out into the world. Kitsune tend to prefer martial or spiritual classes, such as samurai, monks or shamans, though many naturalists tend towards classes such as druid or ranger. Kitsune tend to be Lawful Good or Neutral Good, and often support a social structure that ensures the betterment of all while valuing tradition, respecting the elderly, and honoring the Kami and the land. Kitsune tend to be White or Green.
Kitsune tend to be slightly shorter than humans, but are much lighter (weighing half as much as their human counterparts in many cases). Kitsune are covered with a short coat of soft and almost velvety fur, with white fur covering belly and inner-ears. While kitsune fur can range widely in color, often a red, black, or silver, few outside the kitsune community know this. When a kitsune is in the presence of a Kami, the coloration of their fur changes to a muted, pure, or even nearly-luminescent white and remains as such for months or even years afterward. The intensity of the coloration and duration depend on the power of the Kami they encountered. When in the presence of outsiders, kitsune often wear a tightly fitting head covering, typically made of silk, that obscures their facial features. Kitsune have a large and often bushy tail that they typically take immaculate care of, and only very powerful Kami can change the color of a kitsune’s tail. When a kitsune has accomplished something that greatly pleases a sufficiently powerful Kami, they will often grant the kitsune an additional tail which grants the kitsune access to a varying amount of the Kami’s power.Kitsune characters posses the following racial traits.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom.
- Humanoid (kitsune) type.
- Size Medium
- A kitsune’s base land speed is 40 feet.
- Low-Light Vision.
- Kitsune have the Scent ability.
- Spiritsworn: Kitsune gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC and on saving throws against the extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of kami. In addition, they gain a +4 racial bonus on Knowledge (religion) checks in relation to kami and can make such checks untrained. Kitsune gain a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks made with kami.
- Kitsune Magic: Kitsune with a Wisdom score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 3/day – Foxfire.
- Natural Attacks: Kitsune have two claw attacks that deals 1d4 points of damage. Kitsune can additionally learn to use their teeth as an effective weapon through specialized training, though very few do.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Kip. Bonus Languages: Catfolk, Dakkra, Elven, Gacli, Kith, Loxen, Mer.