Campaign of the Month: January 2015
Skies of Glass
This dweomerscale rod seems almost grown rather than crafted, made of jet-black dragonscale, dragonbone, and inset with elaborately carved fire opals. Gouts of flame and a faint cackling occasionally pour from the draconic skull.Bladewing’s Gift
- Type: Masterwork Heavy Mace
- Material: Ancient Dragonbone (Great quality material, unknown dragon type); 25 hardness, 23 hit points
- Craft: 56
- Caster Level: 18
Bladewing’s Gift deals an additional 1d8 points of Fire damage and struck targets catch on fire (Reflex DC 15 negates). This dweomer scale rod additional grants its wielder a number of unique abilities, but is best suited for the hands of a mage that revels in the power of fire and destruction.
- The wielder may quicken a spell of up to 3rd level three times per day. Alternately, these charges may be expended to quicken a Red or Black spell of up to 6th level.
- Twice per day, the wielder may enhance an offensive spell they’re casting, adding 1 point of fire damage per damage die the spell deals. Activating this ability is a free action made while casting and costs the wielder 3 Red mana.
- Alternately, if enhancing an offensive spell of the Necromancy school or a spell the Fire subtype, the caster may choose to take an additional 1 point of Constitution damage to increase this damage instead to 2 points of fire damage per damage die the spell deals. Additionally, if the spell targets a single creature, the caster may choose to add an amount Negative Energy damage to the spell equal to his Charisma modifier.
A wielder may alternately channel Bladewing’s Gift inward, drinking from the flames that pour from the skull. Doing so causes a pair of powerful but tattered draconic wings to form just off of the wearer’s back, creating a strong blast of scalding wind as they form (as the Gust of Wind spell, except the duration is instantaneous, DC 12+user’s Charisma modifer). Any creature caught within the effect takes 1d6 points of fire damage per Charisma modifier of the wielder, regardless of whether it succeeds on the Fortitude save to avoid the gust. The wielder may use these wings to fly at a speed equal to their land speed with good maneuverability for 1 round per hit die of the wielder. The wielder gains a bonus on their Fly skill while using these wings equal to half their hit dice. Activating this ability is a standard action, costs 4 Red mana and deals 2 points of Constitution damage to the wielder. The wielder may renew duration of this ability while active as a swift action for half the normal mana and constitution damage required to activate it.
Bladewing’s Gift is obviously somewhat sentient, though you’re unsure of how to communicate with whatever intelligence may lay within it, and unsure how wise such an action would be.