Campaign of the Month: January 2015
Skies of Glass
Ring of Walking Water
An immaculately crafted ring, forged of pale gold and set with a particularly large sapphire. The gemstone is held in place by a pair of sculpted mermaids, the beauties seeming to shift around the ring from time to time.Ring of Walking Water
- Type: Wild-Warped Ring
- Material: Good Sapphire
- Craft Check: 46
- Caster Level: 20
The Ring of Walking Water is a Crafter item themed towards controlling water and ice. It appears that it’s exposure to wild magic has changed the ring’s identity, but not it’s Crafter’s theme.
The Ring of Walking Water continually grants the wearer the benefits of Water Walking .
Unfortunately, owning and wearing the ring occasionally “encourages” ice, water, and other water-based liquids to “inconvenience” the wearer – a cup of water spilling towards them, a frozen lake cracking beneath them, or even finding a misplaced water elemental in the loo. Fortunately, these inconveniences are rarely life threatening on their own and rarely happen more than once per day if worn or once per week if not. (The exact specifics and timing of this effect are up to GM discretion).
The ring is wild-warped and emits an incredibly powerful chaotic aura. The ring was successfully challenged, launching Ned into a spiritual challenge in a wild swimming competition, attuning the ring to Ned. As a standard action, the bearer may summon an elemental (Summoning effect, CL 20). The wearer’s hand bearing the ring must be fully immersed in at least a 1 gallon of natural water to use this ability (typically requiring a move action on it’s own, unless already underwater; mystically conjured or created water fails to work for this effect). Activating the ring consumes 1 gallon of water from around the wearer’s hand, the temperature of water determining what type of elemental is summoned and what bonuses they grant. This item may summon an elemental for up to 30 rounds per day, though the rounds need not be continuous. The elementals share a daily mana pool, but their uses of supernatural and spell-like abilities are separate.
- Neutral or Warm: An Anarchic Greater Water Elemental is summoned. While this elemental is active, the wearer’s spells with the Water descriptor that deal hit point damage deal an additional 1d8 points of damage (stacking with similar effects, otherwise as per the Chasuble of Power). Additionally, the wearer may expend an extra 4 Blue mana when casting a spell with the Water descriptor to cause any creature damaged by the spell to be knocked prone. If the spell allows a saving throw, a successful save negates being knocked prone as well. If the spell does not allow a save, the target can make a Reflex save to avoid falling prone.
- Cool or Cold: An Anarchic Greater Ice Elemental is summoned. While this elemental is active, the wearer’s spells with the Cold descriptor that deal hit point damage deal an additional 1d8 points of damage (stacking with similar effects, otherwise as per the Chasuble of Power). Additionally, the wearer may expend an extra 8 Blue mana when casting a spell with the Cold descriptor to cause any creature damaged by the spell to be staggered for 1 round. If the spell allows a saving throw, a successful save negates the staggering effect. If the spell does not allow a save, the target can make a Fortitude save to negate the penalty.
Master’s Mark: This ring provides the wearer with a +1 insight bonus to your artificial caster level for spells with the cold descriptor.
Mystic Ice: This ring has 3 charges which are renewed each day at dawn. Spending 1 or more charges as a swift action grants a bonus to the amount of damage the wearer deals with the next cold spell you cast before the end of your turn. (If the cold spell doesn’t normally deal cold damage, this expenditure has no effect). This bonus damage applies only to the initial damage dealt by a spell (much like a Chasuble of Power).
- 1 charge: +2d6 cold damage.
- 2 charges: +3d6 cold damage.
- 3 charges: +4d6 cold damage.
Additionally, once per day when expending at least one charge from this ring, you may turn half the damage from an effected ranged or AoE cold spell into bludgeoning damage